Thursday 25 August 2011

Ripple

RippleRipple
Mandy Hubbard
272 Pages
Razorbill
July 21st 2011

Summary:

Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. Each day she goes to school like a normal teenager, and each night she must swim, or the pain will be unbearable. She is a siren - a deadly mermaid destined to lure men to their watery deaths. After a terrible tragedy, Lexi shut herself off from the world, vowing to protect the ones she loves. But she soon finds herself caught between a new boy at school who may have the power to melt her icy exterior, and a handsome water spirit who says he can break Lexi's curse if she gives up everything else. Lexi is faced with the hardest decision she's ever had to make: the life she's always longed for - or the love she can't live without?

Review:

Ripple was a fast an easy read, with very interesting Siren Mythology. I have read a few mermaid books in the past, and all I have never quite enjoyed. Ripple has some really interesting mythology behind the Siren, it was caused by a gypsies curse, the need to swim in the water each night or they will have terrible pains and feel sick the next day, and the don't have fins. Ripple was really enjoyable the writing was nice and light, with a great pace, and the story was very unique and refreshing. Definitely a great summer read. The characters were mostly well written. The love interest Cole was different then any other male leading character I have ever seen, I would describe him as very classy. There is a love triangle that develops through the book. The thing I liked most about this book was how Lexi lived with her curse and the knowledge that she killed once and was very determined to not kill again. I give two thumbs up for Lexi for doing this, and living with the curse she know nothing about because her mother died.

While reading the book I found my self not remember the main characters name, she was the most forgettable, 2-dimensional character in the book. Which is really sad because she is the one telling the story. I think that Lexi is too fast to make emotional attachment. She fell in love with a guy once, and he ended up dead. Then she told herself it would never happen again, and she lets herself grow attached twice. I also didn't really understand why her friends would make fun of her, after she chose to detach herself from them. That's no reason to make fun of someone and bully them, it's a reason to be mad maybe or confused.

Overall Ripple was quite enjoyable. It is a great Summer read to read while on the beach. It is packed full of interesting mythology. But if your looking for a book with a main character you want to fall in love with, don't expect much from Ripple.


4 comments:

  1. Cool, thanks for posting a review on this! I got this from NetGalley & looking forward to reading it.
    -Heather @BookStacksOnDeck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the honest review! I love mermaid/siren/water books so I still can't wait to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book, but it sounds pretty interesting, I'd like to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love everything mermaid, so I'm super excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)