Friday 13 January 2012

Everneath Review

Everneath (Everneath, #1)

Everneath
Brodi Ashton
Balzar and Bray
January 24th 2012

Summary:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


Review:

Everneath is all that it sounds to be, a dark supernatural story, with a twist on the story of Hades and Persephone. I am a huge fan of mythological stories especially the ones that originate from ancient Greece. Everneath did not disappoint in this aspect, it was an excellent take on the story. The only thing other two things that I actually enjoyed about this book is Brodi Ashton's writing, she has an amazing talent for story telling or retelling of sorts in this case, and Cole, the Everliving that took Nikki to the Everneath.

Sadly I can't say that I liked Everneath all that much. Right from the beginning I was very confused, it starts right off with Nikki getting out of the Everneath with no back story before that to know what's going on. Throughout the whole book it seemed like a piece of the story was missing. There are a ton of flashbacks which is telling Nikki's life in the Everneath, the book would have been much better if it started off with all these events and then led into the actual story, would have left no room for confusion. Even though Cole is supposed to be the bad guy in the love triangle I really loved him, Nikki and Jack's relationship just seemed to fluffy and fake. I did not connect with any of the characters nor did I like any of them except for Cole, I didn't really care what was happening to them while reading, which is a bad sign. There is a cliff hanger ending and I am curious to see what happens, so I most likely will read it but I wont be in any rush to get my hands on the sequel.

Everneath does have some redeeming factors, that made it a some what enjoyable book to read. But for the most part it is not an excellent book. From the things I've been hearing you either love this book or dislike/hate. Read this book if you want to read a persephone retelling, that's the only reason in my opinion that I would tell someone to read this book. But don't make your final decision based on my review, read other who share the same opinion as me and those who loved it, who knows maybe will be one of the ones who enjoy is.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly Ive tried the first two pages of this book and I dont know if i am truly going to like it but I am hoping atleast Id enjoy this book. Great review x

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like I book I would have picked up, but I don't have time to read books that are just ok. Thanks for reviewing! It's too bad; I do think the Persephone Myth needs a good revamping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sorry you didn't like this Hayley. I really enjoyed it but I can see where it may not be for everyone. I love alternate POVs and flashbacks so it was sort of written for my liking haha. Great review thougH! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. bummr it was no your liking
    gre8 review tho ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)