Tuesday 8 November 2011

Darker Still Review

Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1)


Darker Still
Leanna Renee Hieber
Sourcebooks Fire
November 8th 2011

Summary:
The Picture of Dorian Gray meets Pride and Prejudice, with a dash of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
New York City, 1882. Seventeen-year-old Natalie Stewart's latest obsession is a painting of the handsome British Lord Denbury. Something in his striking blue eyes calls to her. As his incredibly life-like gaze seems to follow her, Natalie gets the uneasy feeling that details of the painting keep changing...
Jonathan Denbury's soul is trapped in the gilded painting by dark magic while his possessed body commits unspeakable crimes in the city slums. He must lure Natalie into the painting, for only together can they reverse the curse and free his damaged soul.

Review:

Darker Still is a dark, Gothic, fairy tale style books. Except the prince charming is trapped inside a painting and the strong but mute heroine must rescue  him before then came be together...

The was definitely a great read,  mainly because of it's uniqueness, and dark quality. The main character, Natalie is totally different then most main characters you will find. She's mute so most of the dialogue is gone, but it's totally fine in this book. The book is told from Natalie's diary, and reading it you don't care or notice that there is any physical speech from her. The author really captured the 1800's feel by her dialogue and the words sh used in her writing. It was really well done, and it really drew me into the Gothic novel. I love the idea of someone being trapped inside a painting and another person being able to go inside of the painting. I find it very fascinating. There is also a bit of Egyptian mythology behind Denbury's inprisionment inside the painting, which isn't used as much as Greek. I find it more interesting personally.

The relationship between Natalie and Denbury is in one word, adorable. I found then so cute together. They both have issues preventing them from having a romantic relationship, and they found each other, and some how find a way to make it work. There is also some demon's, spiritual, and a form of witch craft in this novel. It has it all! I can guarantee that you will be captivated by the writing that creates 1800's Gothic feel, and odd but interesting situation Denbury finds himself in that Natalie must help him fix.

The only real complaint I have about this book is it could have been a bit faster pace in the beginning. Usually I find historical stories to be a bit slow in the beginning mostly because of the language used and the differences from modern society. I also don't see how this could be a first in a series, it seemed pretty wrapped up at the end for a stand alone. Don't get me wrong I am totally up for another, only if it doesn't take away from this one.

5 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around everywhere and it sounds pretty cool. I had no idea that the main character was mute... how interesting is that?! And the whole being trapped in a painting thing sounds fascinating. All of those different elements sound great, actually. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have been spewing my love for this book everywhere lately, but I just really liked it! I like that you pointed out the Egyptian mythology, I thought that was a really cool aspect, too! Great review :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you liked it! I am in LOVE with this book and actually just reviewed it myself the other day. It really is very well-written. And yes, it was seemingly tied up at the end. But what about the evil they were hiding from? Also, I can see how it could continue, they haven't gotten married yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this book too, and you're right the ending seems so finished that it's like it won't be having any continuation, regarding the fact that this is a series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this. Amazing cover and the story sounds unique and right up my alley of what I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)