Thursday 16 February 2012

Pandemonium Review

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)

Pandemonium
Lauren Oliver
Harper Collins
February 28th 2012

* Thanks to HaperCollins Canada for providing a copy for review.

Summary:

After falling in love, Lena and Alex flee their oppressive society where love is outlawed and everyone must receive "the cure"--an operation that makes them immune to the delirium of love--but Lena alone manages to find her way to a community of resistance fighters, and although she is bereft without the boy she loves, her struggles seem to be leading her toward a new love.

Review:
Okay, let me just say that I enjoyed Pandemonium much more than I did Delirium. Delirium was just an okay book for me, where as Pandemonium is an awesome one in my opinion. Pandemonium is told in alternating chapters, "Then"and "Now. "Then" being Lena's time spent in the wilds and "Now" is Lena gathering information in the major cities for the Wilds. Just wanted to clear that up because I was a bit confused when I started and I don't want other to be. Although a bit confusing to start off with I found the alternating chapters to be the main reason I enjoyed Pandemonium more the Delirium. We get to see how Lena adapts to her new life in the wilds without Alex and how the people in the Wilds operate. While at the same time having the same type of setting as in Delirium, reading about plans to destroy savages, and an introduction to Lena's new love interest.

Alex was a good male lead, but I have taking quite an interest in the new one introduced in Pandemonium. I won't say his name because I think it will be an interesting surprise if you found out for yourself once you read it. He's quite different then Alex, but he is also really sweet, and has a bit of a sad back story that will in no doubt steal girls hearts. The growth shown in Lena that she has acquired from her new life is very extraordinary, and I enjoyed her much more as the voice that Pandemonium is told from. I found the pace to be a bit slow in the beginning, but not boring slow more because Lauren Oliver had a lot of things building up in her plot. But in the middle of the book right up until the end.. HOLY CRAP so much action and full blown awesome moments that your socks will be blown off. Even if that is scientifcally inpossible, it will happen!

Yes, the plot and characters are all very good, Lauren Oliver's writting is a huge contribution to why she has written such a successful series. I think that she is a beautiful writer capable of taking readers on a journey filled with non stop action and an incredable romance that warms people's hearts. She is also the master of cliffhangers, the ending of Pandemonium is much like that of Delirium's. You will be left in anguish for the wait for the last book in the triolgy, Requiem. She definitely knows how to get people to come back and read more books from her.

Pandemonium is an amazing sequel to Delirium, better in my opinion than Delirium that is a must read to everyone. I put all my confidence that you will be satisfied (though in shock) when you reach the end of the book.

4 comments:

  1. What a terrific job you did on this review! I've read Delirium and found it fascinating, action filled and touching and am so glad to know you enjoyed Pandemonium even more! I am anxiously awaiting its arrival in bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darling! I adore your blog, and I've awarded it The Lovely Blog Award. It's sweet but simple, and your reviews are so well-written.

    Click here to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I hate the new guy. I hope he dies of a seizure. LOL Sorry I know that is mean but I really hate love triangles. I also hated the ending! Why does she keep leaving up hanging like that! I did still enjoy Pandemonium though and loved that Lena has become so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im one who generally dislikes happy endings in books God knows why, but I toally disagreed with Alex having to die. Every book, in order to be good, needs something extraordinary. Be it, the circumstance or love or what have you, Lauren Oliver set up this terrific bond between Alex and Lena. I must admit i have only read the first chapter of Pandemonium, but knowing that Alex has died makes me not want to finish. Its true, Lauren Oliver knows how to grasp a reader for a moment, but not keep a reader.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)