Friday 23 September 2011

A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful DarkA Beautiful Dark
Jocelyn Davies
Harpercollins
September 27th 2011

Thank you to Harpercollins Canada for sending me an ARC to review.
Summary:

On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.


Review:

I love books that have to do with angels or fallen angels, so of course I would want to check this one out. Skye is you average teenage girl up until her 17th birthday where she is dragged into the world of angels, not knowing what her role in the whole thing is.

I enjoyed A Beautiful Dark, but I can't say that I loved it... It was a fast read for me, which means that it held me interest. The thing I liked the most about it was that being in the same genre as many other books thing one managed to stand out and be unique in it back story. It was really interesting to read and learn about along with Skye. What was very different from most love triangles, and there definitely is one in this book, was that the main character has no clue which one she with pick, and neither does the reader, well at least I don't. One minute she will like one and then the other. The background characters in this book aren't the ones who are just there to take up space, they have substance and you really get to enjoy them even though they aren't the focus of the story.

While I did enjoy the love triangle I feel that the story was to heavily depended on it. I would have liked the book much more if it was one of the key aspects of the book. I prefer the love to be apart of the story that the character fall back on. The writing was just ok for me, nothing stood out from anything else I have read, this is one of those books that the thing you remember most about it is not the writing style. The ending. Oh my what an ending, it ended way to fast, yes it was a cliffhanger ment to bring you back for more but this ending was cut off at a bad place for me. You'll see if you chose to read A Beautiful Dark.

This book is perfect for fans of romance, Hush,hush, or Fallen. It's not as good as Hush,hush, and better than Fallen. I can't wait to see what happens to Skye, Asher, and Devin in the next installment.


3 comments:

  1. wow this book sounds pretty good! i read hush,hush and fallen so I know this is a book I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the story line depending so much on the love triangle - that part kinda irked me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plot of A Beautiful Dark was great! It kept me interested and on my toes, and it was an awesome take on angels. I liked getting to learn a bit about the history of the angels and can't wait to learn more about them in the future books in this series! Also, Jocelyn Davies' writing was awesome, I felt like this book was so easy to read in I would find myself getting sucked in and then being astonished by how much I'd read without even realizing it! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)