Monday 6 February 2012

Under the Never Sky Review

Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky
Veronica Rossi
Harper Coillins
January 3rd 2012

A copy was provided by the amazing authoe, Veroncia Rossi for review.

Summary:

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

Review:

I was blown away by the world the Veronica Rossie created in Under the Never Sky! I can pretty much guarantee that you have never seen a world quite like this, by far the best part of this book is the unique and creative world building. I found the book to be a little confusing in the beginning, mostly because I didn't understand what all these cool gadgets that were being mentioned were. It sorted it self our soon enough though. This book is labelled to be a dystopian books, but I would call it a dystopian-paranormal, Perry's (the outsider) people have some abilities that are definitely not normal.


 I really loved both characters, Aria and Perry, the alternating chapters between these two really worked well with the story. I think that Perry would make an excellent father figure. Aria grows so much from the Dweller she was into the Outside that she was forced to become to survive. I don't think I've seen any other character in one book go through so much growth. I appreciated it and found it very refreshing. After Aria is exiled to live in the outside world when she meets up with Perry I loved the tension between them that slowly turned into very satisfying romance. Both Aria and Perry's qualities they aquired from the way they grew up works very well together.


Veronica Rossi created an epic adventure that will stick with you because of the creativness of the world that Under the Never Sky takes place in. The writing was fluent and the story was though out amazingly, I can't see why anyone would not want to check out this book. A slow but realisticly progressing romance and some cannibles thrown into the mix doesn't hurt either. In fact it makes it even better. Also with the cliffhanger in this book I think that readers will definitely be back for more in the next installment.

2 comments:

  1. Great review Hayley it's true the world was very neat. I did have a hard time getting into this one but once I did I really enjoyed it.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just loved Perry! I thought he was fantastic. I think I was expecting a bit more from this one, but I enjoyed it well enough. You're right, it does start off a bit slow at first and it is confusing. I ended up warming up to it by the end though :)

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)